Skip to content

Navigating International Travel With Your Motability Vehicle

Whether you’re reconnecting with old friends, starting adventures with new ones or just riding solo, if you are a Motability Scheme customer looking to embark on an exciting overseas adventure this year with a bit of planning and preparation, you can take your Motability vehicle beyond the UK and explore the world fearlessly.

Hello Mobility in Motion, I’m delighted to be back on your platform sharing another insightful motoring guide from MotaClarity. This time I will be talking you through the process of driving your Motability vehicle abroad, ensuring a smooth and memorable journey.

Prioritise Vehicle Safety & Comfort

The first thing to consider before embarking on your overseas journey is checking the accessibility and comfort of your Motability vehicle. If you are struggling with any specific aspects of driving or getting seated in your car, then it will only become more evident when driving over long distances.

Thanks to recent advancements, there are now a wide range of adaptations and car accessories for drivers and passengers to enhance accessibility, safety and comfort. Explore what solutions are available so you can enjoy the ideal driving experience.

Important Documents For Your Journey Ahead

Before you set off on your exciting adventure, it’s imperative that you have the necessary documents on hand to avoid any unexpected roadblocks along the way. Here’s what you’ll typically need:

  • VE103 Certificate: This official document acts as proof that you have permission to take and drive your Motability vehicle abroad. You’ll need to request this certificate at least 21 days before your departure. Call RAC Motability Assist on 0800 731 3310 to request this.
  • European Breakdown Cover: When requesting your VE103, you need to add ‘RAC European Breakdown Cover’. There’s no extra cost, as this is included within your Motability Scheme package, but provides crucial cover.
  • Driving Licence: Ensure your driving licence is valid and accepted in the country you’re visiting. An International Driving Permit (IDP) may be required, so we advise researching the specific requirements for your destination.
  • Vehicle Logbook & Insurance Certificate: These are important to have in case they’re requested by authorities whilst you’re abroad.
  • European Accident Statement Form: In case you have an accident abroad, you can print this form in both English and the respective local language so you can smoothly exchange details with the other driver(s), bypassing any possible language barriers.
  • Passport & Travel Documentation: Ensure your personal identification documents are up-to-date and applicable to your travel destination.

What Countries Can You Visit In Your Motability Vehicle?

So, what parts of the world can you explore in your Motability Scheme vehicle?

The Motability Scheme allows you to take your car or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) to a country within the European Union (EU) as well as to Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein, for up to 90 days in total within a 12-month period.

This flexible policy gives you the freedom to explore various destinations at your own pace. Just remember to keep track of your days to ensure you don’t exceed the 90-day limit!

If you are wanting longer than 90 days, you can get in touch with the Motability Scheme team as you will need to get written permission from them. We recommend that you do this a minimum of 21 days before you’re planning on travelling.

If something occurs whilst overseas that means you need to extend your stay, you must contact the Motability Scheme team as soon as you can.

A Guide To Destination Research

Before hitting the open road, it’s wise to do some research about your destination and its driving regulations, ensuring you are informed and well equipped whilst away on your travels. Some key elements to look into:

Local Driving Laws: Familiarise yourself with the local speed limits (likely to be shown in kilometres per hour), parking rules, and any specific requirements such as carrying reflective vests or first aid kits. Many countries also require you to display a ‘UK’ sticker on your vehicle too. Remember, most European countries drive on the right-hand side of the road.

Tolls and Fees: Some countries have toll roads or congestion charges. Research these in advance to avoid any surprises and plan your budget accordingly.

Environmental Zones: Certain cities have low-emission zones where only vehicles meeting specific emissions standards are allowed. Make sure your Motability vehicle complies if you plan to visit such areas.

Parking: Look into parking options at your destination to save time and stress. Is street parking common? Are there parking garages available? If you have one, is the UK Blue Badge Parking Scheme recognised where you’re going to?

Creating An Unforgettable Trip

  • Plan your routes where possible in advance and have a physical map or navigation system as backup.
  • If you’re traveling to a country with a different language, consider learning a few basic phrases or carrying a translation app to help with communication.
  • Save emergency numbers for the country you’re visiting in your phone. Hopefully, you won’t need them, but it’s always better to be prepared.
  • Have local currency on hand for tolls, parking, and small purchases. Also, inform your bank about your travel plans to avoid any issues with card transactions.
  • Carry an emergency kit with essentials like first aid supplies and a spare tyre.
  • Be mindful of local customs and driving etiquette to ensure a respectful and enjoyable experience.

The Open Road Awaits…

Driving your Motability Scheme vehicle abroad can open a world of possibilities, allowing you to explore new destinations in the comfort and familiarity of your own vehicle. By following the guidelines outlined above, you can embark on an unforgettable journey filled with new experiences and cherished memories.

Thank you again Mobility in Motion for having us as a guest on your website. If you’d like to explore more tips and insightful motoring news, visit the MotaClarity website. Happy travels!

The information provided in this article should not be considered legal advice. Verify the specific requirements of your destination country and consult with the Motability team before travelling.